Tuesday, 11 January 2011

of not creating Frankenstein

.

Mr. Higgins and Dr. Bryant are both successful sculptors. Mr. Higgins has turned Eliza into a woman who talks like the upper class. Dr. Bryant has turned Rita into an intellectually educated woman.

Dr Bryant is very genuine as to what education is about. While people may perceive that education is measured by obtaining distinctions, a degree and doctorate certificate, Dr. Bryant sees this kind of education as phoney and superficial. I agree with him. Learning is now driven by the need to satisfy their hunger of external recognition.

Suddenly, students are too absorbed with books and tuitions that they forget the pleasures of growing up n parents become too demanding, society approve only the seemingly smarties. The sun is shining, let's go out and do something! The shining sun is nowhere to be found in your stacks of books.

Dr Bryant does not want to spoil the students with the pretentiousness of the so-called educated life that he despises so much. this is what turning them into squashed cabbage leaves. In the fascination to get recognition or to 'fit in' the society, they tend to lose their uniqueness and they miss the simple pleasures. Is that the real point of being so-called educated. *shrugs

Dr Bryant learns from his statue, that's what I intend to do. these brats exist not for me to judge but to learn from. Some may slap me on the face but that's what people need especially when we'r on the verge of being dogmatic. I want to listen to the young minds. Getting feedback, fresh ideas. Listening them questioning me is not really an insult but its a call for self reflection.

Dr Bryant never leaves Rita regardless of her losing her originality. Rita is not an exhibited possession. And my students are not either. They are individuals and I dont wanna see their achievement as my masterpiece. Puan Rohaya mentioned this before; students are subjects, not objects

And this prof Higgins thinks that he has done enough turning eliza into a duchess. Eliza has improved tremendously, no doubt. She is an externally perfect statue but the internal is deteriorating. His work on her is plastic surgery, firm on the outside, bruised on the inside. All done to win the bet, to maintain his position as a great phonetician regardless of what Eliza eventually becomes. I am guilty for each monster that i create.



I have two options n I choose to be more of Dr Bryant and less of Prof Higgins but that is not what is expected of me

No comments:

Post a Comment